Over 250 students from 25 New York City middle schools performed their own original poetry to an audience of their peers at Teaching Matters’ 3rd Annual Spoken Word Event !
Students performed in breakout rooms and finalists took the stage at the 92nd Street Y (see photos!).
Follow the journey of one of our finalists Aline, thanks to the quick video skills of our high school event volunteers.
Her passionate performance of “Betrayer” took her through to the final six! Students and teachers alike gave rave reviews to finalists and to our master guest poet Kahlil Almustafa.
Other finalists performances include:
- Bronx Early College Academy: Jonathan Goins – “I’ll tell Em”
- IS281: Kamal Abdelrahman -“Basketball Is Me”
- Ryan Middle School: Eden Takhalov -“I am like…”
- IS129: Aline Dipoumbi -“Betrayer”
- PS/MS004: Yelena Marmol-“Daughter to Mother”
- Academy for Scholarship and Entrepreneurship: -Sterling Peguro “Patriot”
Writing Matters introduces 5th through 9th grade teachers to powerful new ways to approach writing instruction using 21st Century technology tools. Created by Teaching Matters, Writing Matters offers a private, safe, free ezine space for classrooms to publish and share their work. Check out thousands of classrooms from 40 states publishing online! .